Wednesday, April 5, 2017

North By Northwest (1959)

Review Written By Michael J. Ruhland















Michael's Movie Grade: A+

Review: This ranks as one of Alfred Hitchcock's most fun films.

This film offers every type of entertainment possible including comedy, drama, suspense, action and romance and does every one of them beautifully. The climax on Mount Rushmore and the crop duster scene are just as exciting today as they ever where and will honestly never date. Similarly the humor is downright laugh out loud funny. Much of this humor comes from the dialogue and Cary Grants amazing delivery of it. Lines like "Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself slightly killed" as well as the whole police station and actuation scenes will simply never not be funny. Cary Grant may be too old for the part, but he is so darn good in it that you probably won't care and neither do I. He and Eva Marie Saint have fantastic chemistry making their scenes together all the better. Despite all the great dialogue Alfred Hitchcock's great visual style shows through out the movie. The whole film is beautiful to look at and always maintains visual interest even in the most dialogue heavy scenes.

On top of all this finally seeing this film in a theater made it feel like a whole new experience to me. The atmosphere of being in a movie theater and being part of a movie audience made this an incredible experience. I have seen this film on TV many times and loved it but seeing it in this setting made me love it even more.

-Michael J. Ruhland   

No comments:

Post a Comment